When must I do a fire risk assessment?
All commercial premises require a fire risk assessment. As the responsible person, you must carry out and regularly review a fire risk assessment of the premises. This will identify what you need to do to prevent fire and keep people safe. You must keep a written record of your fire risk assessment if your business has 5 or more people.
When should I review my fire risk assessment?
Under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 you must review your fire risk assessment at least after every 12 months or when there are relevant changes to your premises or activities. You must also make a reassessment if there are other reasons to believe it’s not valid, such as in the event of a fire.
How do you conduct a fire risk assessment?
Fire risk assessments should be carried out by following these five steps:
- Identify the fire hazards.
- Identify people at risk.
- Evaluate, remove or reduce the risks.
- Record your findings, prepare an emergency plan and provide training.
- Review and update the fire risk assessment regularly.
When carrying out a fire risk assessment you’ll need to consider:
- emergency routes and exits
- fire detection and warning systems
- fire fighting equipment
- the removal or safe storage of dangerous substances
- an emergency fire evacuation plan
- the needs of vulnerable people, for example, the elderly, young children or those with disabilities
- providing information to employees and other people on the premises
- staff fire safety training
Fire Risk Assessments FAQs
staff fire safety training Who can carry out a fire risk assessment?
Fire risk assessments must be carried out by a competent person who has the necessary skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience.
Elite Safety Services can help our clients carry out this legal duty. We ensure that fire risk assessments are suitable and sufficient for your company.
How much does it cost?
Every premise is different and will have different levels of risks depending on the number of staff, equipment available, processes and building material etc but, Elite Safety Services can come to your premise and provide a free quote bespoke to your needs.
Elite Safety Services are a great support to The City & Capital Group.
As we grow our business and offer home working, ensuring we comply with all health and safety requirements is important.
Health & Safety is such a minefield, but Scott made the whole process straightforward. We can rest assured we are not just compliant today. As our business changes shape, Scott will be on hand, an extension to our team!
Thanks Elite Safety Services